 Trains / 735
Re: sticker shock
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 20:46:36 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

<snip>

While competition is a good thing, and TLG has a monopoly on trains that
are compatible, it should be noted that there is a lot of junk out there
in the regular train hobby, especially in HO and in the large scales.

I see so many families buying HO stuff at TRU or Wal-Mart that I know is
junk. It will never run right for any long period of time. That turns
people off the model train hobby, which is too bad.

TLG stuff may be relatively pricey (when compared to these junky HO sets
for under 50 bucks)  but at least TLG stuff works well. There is no junk
clone compatible stuff to give TLG a bad name.

If you're thinking of getting an HO set, don't buy the junk. Go to a
real hobby shop and get the good stuff. Atlas track, Athearn engines and
cars, MRC powerpacks. It will cost you 3 times as much but you get what
you pay for.

This is my first forray into LUGNET.TRAINS, so I'm a fish out of water,  (TOWN is my
home turf).

Thanks Larry,  since I'm probably one of the few AFOL's that is building my city in
the classic scale (3 bricks high doors and NO minifigs) instead of the current LEGO
scale (5 brick high doors), I cannot use the LEGO train system for my LEGO City.  So
I am looking into an HO scale train.  I guess TRU is not the best place to start
with.  I'll check the local Train Hobby Center.

I am rebuilding my Romanesque Revival Train Station, with an expanded Head House, a
Midway (which I didn't have before), and a larger Train Shed with 3 tracks, each of
which has a yellow arch opening of 8 studs wide (using the yellow half arches), and
incorporating train shed skylights (from a bunch of those 6382 Fire Stations).

Although I haven't stayed current with the recent LEGO trains, I have to say that the
trains of the 1970's had some of the rarest LEGO pieces ever made.  These include the
following classic windows:  In yellow: 1x1, 2x1, 1x2, and  2x3 doors, in black: 1x2,
2x2, in grey: 2x2.  Pretty rare stuff!

I also love that 1960's-70's blue (non-electric) track.  It makes a great tressle
bridge.

Gary Istok
(27 years in TOWN LEGO)