 Trains / 175
Re: sticker shock
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 20:46:22 GMT

Louise Belles wrote:

     Once in while it is a good idea for me to wander through a train/hobby
store to remind myself why I switched to Lego trains.  The prices for new sets
are outrageous!  $50 for one hand pump car is way too much, even if the polar
bears on it are cute.  An O gauge Amtrack set was $460.  It included regulator
and track with engine and 4-5 cars, but nothing else.
      There was a parent buying his first train set for his youngster- I
thought the poor guy was going to faint when the clerk showed him a 'good
starter kit for just $260'.  TLG really needs to get the word out about what a
great line of trains they sell.  Lego trains are far more reasonably priced and
have far greater play value. But I could go on forever about that.
Make it a good day.
Louise

While competition is a good thing, and TLG has a monopoly on trains that
are compatible, it should be noted that there is a lot of junk out there
in the regular train hobby, especially in HO and in the large scales.

I see so many families buying HO stuff at TRU or Wal-Mart that I know is
junk. It will never run right for any long period of time. That turns
people off the model train hobby, which is too bad.

TLG stuff may be relatively pricey (when compared to these junky HO sets
for under 50 bucks)  but at least TLG stuff works well. There is no junk
clone compatible stuff to give TLG a bad name.

If you're thinking of getting an HO set, don't buy the junk. Go to a
real hobby shop and get the good stuff. Atlas track, Athearn engines and
cars, MRC powerpacks. It will cost you 3 times as much but you get what
you pay for.

- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.