 Trains / 7162
Re: New MOC: Funicular Preview
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 13:08:51 GMT

Lorbaat wrote:
And, if we're going to bring inclines into it, there's one in Pittsburgh:

http://trfn.clpgh.org/incline/

Actually, I think there's another one, too, but I actually rode the Duquesne
(that doo-kane) Incline, so it's the one I remember.

There are two operating inclines in Pittsburgh, the Duquesne and the
Monongahela.  The Monongahela is operated by the city port authority
while the Duquesne is run by a not-for-profit org.  IMO, Duquesne is the
neater of the two for much of the original station architecture has been
retained and there is a small museum that you can view the history of
inclines in Pittsburgh.  I believe there was something like 19(1)
inclines in pittsburgh at one time.

The only time i really remember riding the inclines is when my parents
came out to visit, it's a good way to entertain them :)

-chris

1- http://trfn.clpgh.org/incline/historycover.htm has a chronology