 Trains / 7127
Re: New MOC: Funicular Preview
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 19:13:11 GMT

Is the funicular dragged by cables instead of self-powered?

I think it a funicular is pulled by cables rather than rack.  But, I'm not for
sure.

Sort of.  A funicular is normally moved by arranging the top car to be heavier
than the bottom car, and changing that around :).  This is usually done using
water, filling a tank under the upper car with water, and emptying the lower
car's tank.

I think that is the major difference between a funicular and a normal cable
railway which usually has a engine to move the cars both up and down...I have a
photo of a cable car at a 77 degree slope...

James P