 Trains / 7100
Re: New MOC: Funicular Preview
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 21:44:16 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:
This is a very preliminary design study of a funicular (proper name?).
It is a somewhat parallogram-ish single passenger car for going up a very • steep
and straight incline (mountain).

These ARE cool, aren't they

I'm pretty excited about it, mostly because my wife may get encouraged to help
me with this project.  We rode a vehicle like this in Switzerland during our
honeymoon.

Where? There are (at least?) two in Zurich, both of which I rode.

  The vehicle we rode was pulled and lowered along the steep trac>k
via a cable system that rode along guide-pulleys in the center of the track.
My wife may help build the small mountain, if we have enough burps and bricks
to do it.

The model is quite blandly red.  No interesting features other than the • general
shape.

http://www.ee.nmt.edu/~jmathis/legopicts/funicular/funicular_v1_p1.jpg

I post this picture for inspiration.
I may never get around to building a mountain, designing landscape, and
construction station stops.
If anyone desires to follow-up on theis construct concept, PLEASE DO!
I wouldn't care if I build it or someone else does.
I just think a mountain landscape and train scene with funicular train would
just be very cool.
I'd love to see it done!  Great addition to a club layout, in my very humble
opinion.

Thanks for reading my ramblings.
(Hope somebody at least kinda like the idea.)

There was a code pilot controlled rack railway with a carriage quite similar
in appearance to yours at the LLC grand opening legofest 20 march 1999. I
forget who brought it but it was cool and you ought to look at it if you can
(there are pictures somewhere).

I found your car to be rather steep, slantwise. As I recall, Rigiblick was
that steep (although much smaller, it was all one level inside) and Polybahn
wasn't quite that steep with only 2 steps between each level.

++Lar