 Trains / 7142
Re: Cargo Sprinter cab window alternate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 19:05:01 GMT

Cool!
I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Trailing trucks? Are these the central cars that do not have a cab?

I did mine more as a example of a minimalisitic aproach to a container train
than a copy of the real thing.  (more like freelance design for the <o> company
than a copy).  Design constraints included: using the small train wheels
(because I have skads of them that I wasn't using), and not using any couplers
at all. So, it is articulated, which is how I would have built it in real life
as well...simpler than detachable couplers.  It also is only a 1/2, it should
have a 2nd half built, but I doubt I will do so (I don't need to transport more
than 6 containers at once)...I have _strong_ reservations about putting a 2nd
motor or trying to push this train, so it is going to have a funny little
middle section, which would be used for longer reverse moves.

In my mind, the real things would be used as a suppliment to trucks for
delivery, with 6 or so TEU containers, 500 HP or so,(8 HP/ton, whatever that
works out to be) mechanical transmission...I've had the vision of something
like this for a longish time (although, I thought of undermounting engines on
each car as a way of making a 'train', using MU cables/couplers...