 Trains / 7129
Re: Cargo Sprinter cab window alternate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 02:21:43 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:

I agree with Larry. I kinda like the 6-wide window better. I wonder if
an eight wide car with the six wide window and the 1x3x1 red slopes
would look even better? With a six wide car I like the six wide window.

Chris, 8 wide may be a bit much. The proto and Markin photos make it clear • (to
me anyway) that the cab width and chassis/frame width are within a very few
inches of the container width if not actually exactly the same (which is my
guess). Hence unless you're stumping for 8 wide containers, a 6 wide cab is
the right width. IMHO.

++Lar

I didn't look at the Markin photos, so I thought that the Cargo Sprinter
was the same size as a regular train. But since you say that these are
small trains then OK.

As to stumping 8-wide...I think I am a convert. My two latest creations
are 8-wides.

Arguably if your SD is 8 wide, a Cargo Sprinter to the same "scale" (I know, I
know, there is no scale) should be 6 wide because containers are narrower than
standard rail cars.

However a 4 wide Cargo Sprinter would look pretty weird.

Bog.

I think no matter what, we are messed up somewhere if we try to get closer to
scale. I am sorry I even asked about 5 wide containers! I may just stick to 4
wide because its a defacto standard (MTW probably will never be doing 8 wide
models, MTW models are pricey enough as it is...).

My doublestack can't easily take 5 or 6 wide containers since it is a 6 wide
well car and the well beams take up one stud each side. I would have to
massively reengineer.

Also, and worse, a doublestack of 6 wide containers that were appropriately
high would surely tip over at any kind of speed on our curve radius. Even my
current design is a bit tippy when run full throttle. That's partly due to how
the articulation works and partly due to the high container height for a
relatively low tare weight leading to a high center of gravity.

++Lar