 Trains / 6992
  World Record LEGO Bridge

Just to clarify a few details about the World Record LEGO Bridge. It is, as far as I know, a World Record length of bridge span - officially measured (with guidance from a bridge engineer) at 16 feet 10 inches. The bridge has been called a (...) (24 years ago, 21-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: World Record LEGO Bridge

(...) [snip] (...) Dear Wayne, thanks for posting this interesting informations about your bridge. In fact I was highly interested to get to know more abaout it. So far it was my bridge to hold the record (and from purists view it still might be). (...) (24 years ago, 21-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: World Record LEGO Bridge

(...) Do you have enough to challenge the PNLTC record? /Eric M/ (24 years ago, 21-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: World Record LEGO Bridge

(...) With just 3 - 5 People we might own 600 ... 800 meters of 12V track, but it seems hard to find the people for the last 400 meters we need. And maybe even harder to find is the place for an event and a date where everybody has time enough. (...) (24 years ago, 22-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: World Record LEGO Bridge

I would be willing to bet that if your group made a concentrated effort, you could get the other 400 meters from the train heads on Lugnet and the occassional ebay lot. Blue track is not in high demand like the gray track is. Mike Reinhard "Ben" (...) (24 years ago, 22-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: World Record LEGO Bridge

(...) <snip> (...) Hi Wayne! Nice bridge... I'd love to see some more detail of how you integrated the ZNAP into the spans - I assume you used it for deck stiffening and for the towers? How did the flexibility and spinginess of the ZNAP imapct the (...) (24 years ago, 22-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: World Record LEGO Bridge

(...) These towers were gone once the bridge was in operation: I suspect they were just holding the deck up at the correct level while Wayne was attaching the strings. Kevin ---...--- Personal Lego Web page: (URL) Air Market: Limited edition kit (...) (24 years ago, 22-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: World Record LEGO Bridge

Kevin A slight correction - Wayne did have some temporary Znap supports that were in place while he was connecting the "cables". The monorail stanchions(sp?) in the picture are just that. You can see the monorail track parallel to Wayne's bridge. (...) (24 years ago, 22-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: World Record LEGO Bridge

Kevin, the black supports to the right of my rail ferry were actually standard monorail supports under the monorail line that paralleled the bridge. You are correct, however, in stating that Wayne did use temporary supports (Znap) under his (...) (24 years ago, 22-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: World Record LEGO Bridge

(...) Ahhh - I missed the thin grey line of the monorail track - I see now that it's not part of the bridge, just very close to it. The question about ZNAP usage and utility in the bridge still stands, though :) Also, this brings up another (...) (24 years ago, 22-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: World Record LEGO Bridge

"Jeff Elliott" <jeffe@telepres.com> wrote in message news:39A2C927.CE113F...res.com... (...) I've done a monorail bridge, but only of 5 lengths with no support inbetween. I braced it underneath by building down off of the 2x2 sockets with 2x2 round (...) (24 years ago, 22-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: World Record LEGO Bridge

(...) Wayne, all I can say is AWESOME! I thought the schnabel car I built was large. (24 years ago, 22-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: World Record LEGO Bridge

(...) Jeff, First, to alleviate any rumors to the contrary, there is no support anywhere along the span except the string. It was placed within a couple of inches of the floor to provide a reduced amount of rail climb. The officiating took into (...) (24 years ago, 23-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: World Record LEGO Bridge

(...) <snip> (...) Hi Wayne, I'm sorry if my post sounded like I was challenging the authenticity of your accomplishment - I figured that since your bridge was evaluated for span length, it was able to stand unaided. From my own (shorter-span) (...) (24 years ago, 23-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: World Record LEGO Bridge

(...) into (...) at (...) I also had the problem of twisting/rolling at first when a train crossed. This seemed to be reduced when I added the stretchers across the width of the span at intervals, although there was still some roll. Even before the (...) (24 years ago, 23-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: World Record LEGO Bridge

(...) work that I don't (yet) have the budget to challange. I wrestle with the use of string as a non-LEGO element, (the Znap qualifies) but suspension bridges allow for much greater span lengths. One might even say they have an unfair advantage for (...) (24 years ago, 24-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: World Record LEGO Bridge

(...) I don't know what if any record there is, but I'm going to try to set/break it in one month at our show here in Edmonton. I read about a 30" (one table) span at a PNLTC show, and Tim Courtney's sounds like it would be about a two table span. (...) (24 years ago, 24-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  non-Lego elements (was: Re: World Record LEGO Bridge)

(...) Why does the Znap qualify? Please check all that apply: (1) Because it was sold under the Lego name. (2) Because it has holes that Technic pins fit in. (3) Some other reasons (please state). Things to think about: * If TLC bought Knex, would (...) (24 years ago, 24-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: World Record LEGO Bridge

(...) Master.........ummmm aka Monorail Master? (24 years ago, 24-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: non-Lego elements

(...) It's made by LEGO, it's designed to work with 'normal' LEGO bricks. I see absolutely no problem with using Znap and considering it 'pure LEGO'... When I first saw Technic sets I didn't like them, because I didn't think they were 'real LEGO'. (...) (24 years ago, 24-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: non-Lego elements (was: Re: World Record LEGO Bridge)

(...) My $0.02: LEGO ZNAP uses all the same basic unit measurements as LEGO SYSTEM and LEGO TECHNIC. LEGO ZNAP includes a few pieces (short axle connectors come to mind) that are identical in form and color to LEGO TECHNIC. LEGO ZNAP is just as much (...) (24 years ago, 24-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: non-Lego elements (was: Re: World Record LEGO Bridge)

If we are not careful we could end up down the same road that railway anoraks go sometimes whilst away from their sandwiches. I can see a time when certain LEGO MOC models are banned because; 1. They combine bricks which were never available in the (...) (24 years ago, 25-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)