 Trains / 6523
Re: OK then I'll try again... more MOCS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 15:44:50 GMT

STEVEBAR wrote:

<verbose on>
Thanks for the comments guys. I really like the feedback (and its fun to show
off a bit). Sometimes you're just too close to your own designs to make valid
crtiques.

Boxcar Doors
They do not slide. I used technic beams with the stud-end rivet in the end
holes. In some cases I didn't have 1x8 T-beams in the right color so I use 1x2
(or whatever I had) and made sure the ends spanned 8 studs (the door width)
then layed the same color tile across the span. The handle has to be on a
seperate 1x2 T-beam or else you'll see 1/2 of the next hole. Part of the
illusion comes from the door 1/2 opened and part from the pseudo- door sliding
rails (they are really just 1x... plates in a dark color).

Boxcar Laders
I tried both, as you can see. Larry actually asked a while ago how come I
didn't use LEGO laders. I forget the answer so I tried it. I agree that seeing
the color(s) thru the 1x2 plate lader is cool, both actually work. I haven't
tried skipping two plates. That might take the bulky-ness out of it.
Oh yea, Larry also made the great suggestion that if it is an ice car it
should have an ice door on the roof. I added it and it adds a ton (not shown).

Propane Tanks
As Larry stated the propane tanks are big wheel hubs. In fact they are the
wheel hubs that are really good for nothing, with the big ridge.

Lumber Cars
There are far better arragmnets for the diaganol posts but I wanted to clear
the bogie plate pin. What did you do different? Mine are really a first draft.
I want to add at least one more esential detail, maybe chains???

Coaches
I am really a big fan of complete passenger trains. I certainly agree that I
need to round out the trains with coach vaiations, baggage cars... I just
sometimes get stuck on a design and start mass (3 or 4) producing them. I also
need to build a couple steam engines to pull these guys.

Coffee Mug
The Mug was made from a web site call gatherround.com. Basiclly there is an on-
line interface and you upload your graphic and $10 later you get a mug in the
mail a week later.

Clock
The clock is a $5 clock I got at a Target like store. I pulled it apart,
measured it and created the face in power point. Printed in out, pulled the
hands off, stuck it on the face... and valla, a PNLTC clock.

Coupler
Chris nailed it. I wanted to try a 2 axle coach but longer then the normal
wheel/coupler would allow. This design works well, some small issues going in
reverse.

Ah, that is why the 1x1 cylinders are there, huh? I was wondering what they were
for. If backwards is a problem the thing that pops to mind is, does the rounded
technic beam need to pivot? If not maybe it could be locked down in two places? I
haven't realy thought about how this would be done.

Step
"too bad it uses hinge parts" why too bad? I was playing around with several
designs and this is all I could come up with.

"Too bad" not because it looks bad, but because hinge parts are very useful and
black ones are somewhat rare (in my collection).

Monorail
Not much interest here for monorail???? I thought the 8 widers would love the
6 wide monorail!

Really, I think it looks like a Disney World ride...or something.

Chris

Thanks to Kevin M. Loch for Brickshelf!
SteveB
PNLTC.org