 Trains / 6039
Re: New Plasticity layout - a challenge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 28 May 2000 20:37:46 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Andreas Stabno writes:
In lugnet.trains, Bram Lambrecht writes:
In lugnet.trains, Andreas Stabno writes:
I'm looking for help in designing my new layout which I've been tinkering • with
for the last week or so.  A rather large jpg can be seen here:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=astabno

Wow, that's quite a layout...do you have enough room and enough pieces for • it?
--Bram

Room and pieces always seem to be the limiting factors.  We're thinking of
finishing our basement this summer and the layout will pretty much take up • the
entire space except for a narrow walkway around the tables and some space for
shelves.

Keep aisle space in mind, please. Don't expect to reach in much more than • about
24-30 inches from a table edge. you may find that you need some "access
hatches" or more of a walkaround layout with peninsulas, than a huge expanse
that you can't get to the middle of.

That layout you posted was interesting from a thought experiment perspective,
but not practical from a build perspective. IMHO as an ex model railroader
where this topic comes up a lot.

Of course there are solutions which don't require access hatches. A kind of
interesting one from the latest issue of The Narrow Guage and Shortline
Gazette - one modeler building in a large scale has a mine building that he
can pop up INTO (head AND shoulders)! The same issue also sent me back to re-
reading one of my favorite model railroad books from when I was a kid (1),
Prize Model Railroad Layouts (Fawcett Publications 1952 - well, the book is a
little older than me :-). It has one layout which the modeler got a little
over enthusiastic in his family room (he boxed in the closet which held the
ping-pong table for one thing). He built himself a moving bench which hung
from the ceiling so he could reach anywheres on his 9'x12' layout.

My current table actually can force me to reach 36" or so, but that's a real
stretch (and requires me to stand on a stool or so to make the reach), in
general Larry is right, 30" is about the most you should plan on, and that
will be pushing it if you build at near eye level unless you use a stool.

(1) There was a small article in the back of the magazine about a British
layout, The Madder Valley Railway, which I instantly recognized as being one
which was in this book (though interestingly, the magazine shows a layout plan
which is different from either of the two in the book, the magazine plan looks
like it was a transitionary plan between the two in the book). What was real
nice is that a few years ago, I acquired a new copy of this book which didn't
have the covers torn off (I don't ever remember the cover, so my childhood
copy must have been abused when I got it).

Frank