 Trains / 5623
Re: Rough Draft: Hiawatha Engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 13:02:34 GMT

Hiawatha Hudson [1]

that I took at our last train show.  I will let him speak for his
beauty:-)

-John

[1] wheel config is actually a 4-4-4; John (J-1) can explain:-)

Why not chop off a axle at the back, and make it into a 4-4-2 Atlantic instead
of a Jubilee?  Then it would be right for the Hiawartha Atlantics.

Or, even better, make a Jubilee :).  After all, a "long" Jubilee holds the
official NA speed record for steam.  #3003, 112.5 MPH, Smith Falls Sub, CPR.

(ack! another project...)(oh, and if you are wondering, there were 2 classes
of Jubilee, one with the drive on the first axle (the "long" Jubilee's, F2's,
3000-(3010?))  They were semi-streamlined, with open motion, and classic CPR
streamlining of the boiler/tender.

The short ones (2910-2929) drove onto the 2nd axle, and had a wheelbase of 7'6"
rigid (very short).  They were hand fired, and were intended for use on local
trains, again, wht the classic CP streamlining, however, the pilots were not
streamlined on them, being of the regular construction.

James