 Trains / 5626
Re: Hiawatha Engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 14:18:41 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Powell writes:
John Neal writes:
that I took at our last train show.  I will let him speak for his
beauty:-)

-John

[1] wheel config is actually a 4-4-4; John (J-1) can explain:-)

Why not chop off a axle at the back, and make it into a 4-4-2 Atlantic instead
of a Jubilee?  Then it would be right for the Hiawatha Atlantics.

I think the Atlantics had skirting over the drive wheels, that would be hard
to simulate in 6 wide...  Since the 9volt motor is in the tender, it's pushing
the engine - we found that a single trailing axle didn't hold the track very
well.  So, we basically tried to model the 4-6-4 Hudson, but with two sets of
drive wheels instead of three.  Three was the original plan, but it just got
too long...

Yes, the drive wheels are heavily modified Model Team hubs (from the 5571) - I
don't usually cut (gasp!) pieces, but I think these work pretty well.  It
doesn't handle the curves very well - you can see it tipping over in the last
picture.  Doh!!  (It's top-heavy, and needs more weight down low.)

Once the GMLTC completes our switch to 8 wide trains, I'll probably build
another version of the Hiawatha.

John1, GMLTC