 Trains / 5063
Re: New train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 09:01:37 GMT

Ben,

  It looks nice. It looks like you are using rounded off "FreeStyle" 2x3 bricks
[1] on the cab and on the tender. I have been looking for those. I have only found
one FreeStyle set that has them in blue, and that $20 set only has two of them.
Where did you get so many of them?
  It is hard to tell where the transition from 6 wide to four wide is made. It
looks a bit like the studs forward mid section is six wide, and the studs up top
section is 4 wide. Is it?
  Just out of curiosity, was this a one night creation? How long did it take to
build? Did you spend a lot of time thinking about it? Just asking because if your
answer is, "Oh, I sat down grabbed a picture and banged out this prototype in  a
couple of hours" then I am going to cry.
  By the way, I like reference to the modern "Galaxy Eplorer" to lend a bit of
modern streamlined flash to your stream lined steamer.
  Let me change my earlier statement. It looks very nice!

Chris

[1] The bricks that are 2 wide by 3 long on bottom and curve to 2 wide by 2 long
on top.

Ben Fleskes wrote:

All this talk of modules and standards inspired me to actually build something.

http://www.geocities.com/ben_fleskes/royalblue.jpg

It's a Baltimore and Ohio Royal Blue 2-6-2 steam engine circa, late 1930s early
1940s.  Not sure if the wheel arrangement is correct since the leading and
trailing truck wern't that clear in the picture I was working off of.

I really wish they made the four stud hemisphere piece in blue, but for now, I
have to use the conical piece which makes the nose a little to pointed.

Other things of interest include stud down construction on the leading truck.
It was the only way I could figure out how to securely mount the blue chairs as
skirting.  This section of skirting would normally cover the steam cylinders.

The middle(front to back) and front detailing are pretty much all stud forward
construction.  The section above that is pretty straight forward stud up
construction.

Comments welcome and appreciated.

Ben F.