 Trains / 468
Re: Speculation: Monorail, Disney, Past Coincidence?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 02:51:50 GMT

Louise Belles wrote:

Larry Pieniazek writes:
I'm a purist. No non TLG elements sully my creations. I'm fairly
pedantic about it(1) too.
But I'd make a big fat exception for train specific LEGO compatible
elements that came from elsewhere.

1 - OK, raise your hand if you're surprised by that admission.. <scans
globe> Look Ma, no hands!

Beyond surprise- why I am shocked! Last I read you would only use original
Lego string. (I had to replace my own after the cats did something disgusting
with it.)

No, I meant the admission that I was pedantic. :-) I may have to give up
on TLG string, though. Some darnfools are running the string prices way
up in AucZILLA. :-)

2 - or at least slipping, which is what drivers often do if not
sufficiently sanded.

Sanding!  Why that will get you kicked out of a pinewood derby faster than a
speeding locamotive.  Oh sorry, we aren't at a pinewood derby, but remembeer
that if your son becomes a scout.

Sanding drivers is perfectly good form, that's what the sand dome on a
steam locomtive is there for, after all, to keep sand in. It's on top of
the boiler so that the sand is kept nice and hot, hence dry, and hence
(1) will flow down the sand pipes(2) to the drivers(3) with no blockage,
which is important on those icy days. (4)

1 - is two hences in a row OK?
2 - If you look on a prototype steam locomotive, you'll see little pipes
that often go a fair ways down towards the track between drivers. These
are the sand pipes. They guide the sand to just in front of the drivers.
3 - drivers as in powered wheels, not as in the UK word for locomotive
engineer
3 - unless you're a good engineer, in which case you get good adhesion
without much sand because you're a light touch on the throttle and you
admit just enough steam to do the right thing without any slippage.
Coming home with a full sand dome was cause for bragging.

++Lar