 Trains / 4659
Re: Model of MATRA VAL System
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 02:39:25 GMT

UGH!!!!!!! LUCKY DUCK!!!!

Yeah, I assumed the SRT was ATC... driver just gives the start command after
closing the doors, right?

No, not even that, driver had (this is 15 years ago now :)  just a emergency
stop button, and the horn button (which was a rased 2" diameter button or so,
the stop was recessed).  So, the driver is just along for the ride...kind of
pointless if you ask me, if someone gets in the way, you are going to hit it
anyway.

(Can you tell about your experience on opening day? That sounds **SO FUN**!!

Ya, we went up on the (blue?) the night service bus, along from Christie
Station (had to walk down to Bloor from just north of Dupont/railway track),
and went out there.  We'd left home by 4AM, got out to Scarbro Town Center,
walked over to the first stop (don't have a TTC map, and don't remember name,
after STC stop, the one right by the depot).  At about 5 to 6, the guy opened
up, just like it was any other day (which it was, to him, except it was the
first day that they were taking fares, they had been running on the 2 previous
weekends w/o taking fares).  Walked over to transfer machine, and punched out a
bunch (4-6) transfers, with something like 5:56AM (date) on them.

We rode along for most of the morning, even getting a look into the infamous
pickle vats at Bicks (this was _long_ before the wall went up!).  Then, we
heard _a voice_ which said,"James, is that you?" ...it turned out that a old
friend who was a inspector was in the cab, and had heard us talking in the
"front seat", and had recognized my voice...so, cabride ensued, and they had
track workers out (being first day and all...no big supprise there!).  Rode
through Kennedy loop (which isn't there now) and up to the other end...then had
to give up my prime spot.

Oh, BTW, the LIM plates, they fit some GMC van back door panel beautifully, we
know that at least one was stolen one night, and that is what it got used for
(according to people 'in the know') and the train didn't like going over that
spot...

James