 Trains / 4650
Re: Model of MATRA VAL System
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 20:59:32 GMT

Martin Legault wrote in message ...

Rubber-tyred large-scale Metros, in such cities as Montreal and Paris,
simply "drop off" the concrete guideway and roll onto their flanged • wheels,
nested within the outboard mounted rubber tyres on their axles. The trains
navigate the switch using the flanged rails, then hop back up onto the
concrete beams. In Montreal it's slightly different, where the weight of • the
train is still carried by the beam.

Nope the wheight of the train is on the rubber tires, the beam are there • only
for protection in case a tire blow out. Thay are also resopnsible for track
switching.

The statement I made was in reference to switching.

The beamway *is* the suport for the running tyres. The rails nested within
those running beams serve as a safety in case of a tyre blow out. When a
Paris metro train aproaches a switch it is my understanding that the beam
tapers off such that the train is lowered onto it's flanged wheels running
on the rails. Switching is then occuring, and then the train rises back up
onto the rubber tyres as the beam thickens again on the other side.

In Montreal, however, I've read that the weight of the train is still
suported mainly by the tyres in switching.

    Iain
--
tokama       http://www.oxford.net/~hendryjr
ICQ UIN      5362826