 Trains / 30877
Re: 8879 no more?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 2009 22:49:15 GMT

Carl Troein wrote:

I'd say it's no biggie since you can just keep turning the orange knob
until you're happy with the speed. A bigger problem would be that the
8879 I had a chance to play with a while back (I'm still waiting for mine,
ordered within 12 hours of release...) sometimes misinterpreted the
direction I was turning the knob in, or though that I turned it back and
forth when I turned it slowly. I suppose it takes some practice to get
used to it.

I had the train reverse on me too, but it was only when the speed was close
to zero. So, I assumed I had just clicked twice, and gone from +1 to -1.

The issue about losing signals due to line-of-site communication has another
side to it. If the controller was absolute, and the train missed a control
signal, it would still be running at the speed/direction of the previous
signal that it received. The next signal it gets would fix it up. But, and
this is a big one, when will it get the next signal? Normally, it would
only get another signal when you change something on the controller. If
the controller sends out signals on a regular basis (e.g. once per second),
the battery isn't going to last very long. There could be a button on the
controller to "resend current setting", but that might not be an appropriate
thing for young children to have to worry about. Having the controller be
relative instead of absolute avoids the issue.

-Chris Gray