 Trains / 30839
Re: 8879 no more?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 2009 22:59:59 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jordan Schwarz wrote:

Steve Witt of LEGO was able to get me a quick reply regarding the 8879
controller.

"There was a production problem with that one and it will be released later this
summer. there was just a bump in the road on getting it out on time :-)

But yes it will be coming out."

-Jordan

Hi Jordan,

Thanks, that's good to know.  At least it will be coming back reasonably soon.
Presumably the collection will come back along with it.

What it did have was, the
8885 remote controller, which in fact gives absolute throttle command, but it's
still line-of-sight (LOS), and continuous application (you have to push it 'on'
all the time). I think I'd like the incremental better, especially if I could
pretty much set it and forget it. I guess I'll never know now.

Have Fun!
C-Ya!

Rich

Rich,

But, is the 8885 proportional?  I thought it was just on/off.  I have a couple
so I guess I should go test :)

The issue with incremental commands is that if the receiver misses one,
everthing is now offset. IR is too unreliable for any protocol that requires
100% reception.  With absolute throttle, the control unit can send redundant
commands and there is no harm in extra ones and only delayed response from
missing ones.  I find it completely unfathomable that an engineer could walk
into a design review with an incremental IR-based protocol and exit the room
again with his hide still on his body.... but I'm old school that way :)

The specs are all out there and have been for a long time.  Maybe it's time to
crank out a homebrew throttle.  I'm pretty sure the receiver supports absolute
throttle commands.  If not, my rant will look pretty silly... I guess I should
go re-read the spec before launching any more flames :)

-dave