 Trains / 30836
Re: 8879 no more?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 2009 13:06:08 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Dave Curtis wrote:
It looks like the 8879 remote and the Emerald Night collection have dissappeared
from the Lego shop web site.  Has the 8879 remote been pulled already?

I did a little searching, and saw that it sends incremental instead of absolute
throttle commands -- if so, it *deserved* to be disappeared, along with anybody
at TLC that thought that was a good idea.  Still, what are we supposed to do for
a remote control in the mean time?

-dave

Dave,
I noticed this myself. What I did in response to this was get a deal on
clearance from TRU for the 4958 (Monster Dino). I has just about everything in
there for power functions, except the 8879 controller. What it did have was, the
8885 remote controller, which in fact gives absolute throttle command, but it's
still line-of-sight (LOS), and continuous application (you have to push it 'on'
all the time). I think I'd like the incremental better, especially if I could
pretty much set it and forget it. I guess I'll never know now.

Have Fun!
C-Ya!

Rich