 Trains / 30876
Re: 8879 no more?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 2009 14:27:14 GMT

Dave Curtis wrote:

What it did have was, the
8885 remote controller, which in fact gives absolute throttle command, but it's
still line-of-sight (LOS), and continuous application (you have to push it 'on'
all the time). I think I'd like the incremental better, especially if I could
pretty much set it and forget it. I guess I'll never know now.

Rich

But, is the 8885 proportional?  I thought it was just on/off.  I have a couple
so I guess I should go test :)

The issue with incremental commands is that if the receiver misses one,
everthing is now offset. IR is too unreliable for any protocol that requires
100% reception.  With absolute throttle, the control unit can send redundant
commands and there is no harm in extra ones and only delayed response from
missing ones.  I find it completely unfathomable that an engineer could walk
into a design review with an incremental IR-based protocol and exit the room
again with his hide still on his body.... but I'm old school that way :)

I'd say it's no biggie since you can just keep turning the orange knob
until you're happy with the speed. A bigger problem would be that the
8879 I had a chance to play with a while back (I'm still waiting for mine,
ordered within 12 hours of release...) sometimes misinterpreted the
direction I was turning the knob in, or though that I turned it back and
forth when I turned it slowly. I suppose it takes some practice to get
used to it.

The specs are all out there and have been for a long time.  Maybe it's time to
crank out a homebrew throttle.  I'm pretty sure the receiver supports absolute
throttle commands.  If not, my rant will look pretty silly... I guess I should
go re-read the spec before launching any more flames :)

You could use an RCX. I'm planning to try that at some point. It might
be possible to do something clever with three touch sensors and the
seven ways to press them, or one could do something even cleverer that
includes a light sensor.

//Carl