 Trains / 3086
Re: directional lighting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 23:49:06 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Russell Clark writes:
I have a question. Suppose I have a Metroliner (I wish!) that has a motor and
working headlights in both engines. When the train is moving, will both
engines'
lights light up, or do only the lights light up for that direction? In other
words, will the forward lights light up only when going forward, and the rear
lights only light up when going reverse, or do both sets of lights light up
either direction?

Russell

There are two kinds of Lego lights.

#1 - While powered up, they shine constantly, with brightness in direct
proportion to how much juice they are getting, i.e. a faster setting = more
light.  This is independant of the polarity, meaning that they shine whether
the train is moving forward or backwards.

The standard Lego train light (1x2 with side mounted light and a vertical
groove on the back side) works in this fashion.

#2 - Operates just like #1 in one direction.  Change the polarity (i.e.
reverse direction) and they begin to flash.  The single bulb version will
flash on and off.  The twin bulb version will have the lights alternate, where
one is on and the other off.  They switch over at the same time.

The 1x4 light brick with 2 lights on it works in this fashion.  Also the 1x2
brick with the top light works like this.

Basically, they will work fine.  If you want it to work differently, you will
need to use another (different) Lego light unit.

I hope this answers your question.

Mike Poindexter