 Trains / 3090
Re: directional lighting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 00:12:59 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <38518F7C.45F824ED@voyager.net>...
Russell Clark wrote:

I have a question. Suppose I have a Metroliner (I wish!) that has a motor • and
working headlights in both engines. When the train is moving, will both
engines'
lights light up, or do only the lights light up for that direction? In • other
words, will the forward lights light up only when going forward, and the • rear
lights only light up when going reverse, or do both sets of lights light • up
either direction?

Russell

With only ordinary lights, there is no directionality. If you use the
special L&S element you'll get steady in one direction and flashing in
the other.

There is no all LEGO way to get 9V directional lighting at present that
I am aware of.

Wouldn't it be neat if TLC decided that those nifty 80-in-1 electronic kits
were something that could be done with LEGO bricks? Imaging having diode,
transistor, resistor, capacitor, inductor, inverter, NAND, NOR, etc. etc.
etc. bricks? True - any complex circuit would be huge, but directional
lighting would be trivial with a diode brick. With a transistor brick, you
should be able to make a constant voltage directional lighting system
(relying on a battery box for the voltage), though no lights will be on if
the train is stopped (of course with the right bricks, you could superimpose
an AC voltage on the tracks, though the unmodified train motor might
complain).

Frank