 Trains / 30729
Re: The pole reverser - what's it do?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:12:32 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Stump Dunn wrote:
C) the LEDs have a built in bridge rectifier and connect to the two inside
contacts, of which can change direction based on battery box switch position
or reversing switch position.

And the winner is...... C!!!!
I put my meter on the outside poles and got nothing. open.
I put my meter on the inside poles and found 9M ohms in one direction but 6M in
the other ?

This means the lights[1] use the same source as the IR receivers which should be
constant.
Good news for train fans is that now when you increase or decrease the speed of
your train, the lights do not change their brightness !! I'm sure many train
builders have been begging for that. The differences in resistance based on
polarity could also result in trains (or PF motors) running faster in one
direction [2] when used in conjunction with lights.

1> i use the term lights as there is no reason why the resistance would be
different in reverse polarities for a normal bridge[3] indicating the possible
use of something other than an LED but this is debatable as they could have
quite simply put differing zeners in the bridge.

2>maybe my lights are defective ?

3> i use the term bridge as a rectifier on a DC circuit would be silly. or
perhaps it was used by the author in an attempt to make the subject complicated
and subsequently, to look cool.

Steve

You can see the schematics for the PF lights on Philo's page, to be more
precise, here:
http://www.philohome.com/pf/pflights.htm

Jetro