 Technic / 16589
Re: The pole reverser - what's it do?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2009 00:25:27 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Santeri Piippo wrote:

   Interesting, so it *does* switch the winding/direction... but the only use I can make up is to keep lights on while motors stand still.

Thanks, really eased my mind now that I don’t have to ponder about what it does. :-)

The pole reverser has multiple uses. At it’s simplest, it serves as a remote on/off switch so you don’t need to be able to reach the battery box. As others have already mentioned, it also changes the polarity of the output voltage based on whether it is moved left or right. This is very useful in models which have reversible functions. For instance, the 8480 Space Shuttle has two pole reversers which allow you to open/close the bay doors, raise/lower the boom, rotate the boom left/right, and open/close the satellite solar panels in combination with the geared transmission. More recently, the pole reverser on the 8297 Off Road truck serves to reverse both the winch and to raise/lower the suspension. In both the old 9V battery box and the new Power Functions battery box, you can also reverse the polarity using the multiple positions of the switch on the battery box. LEGO has not used pole reversers very often in official sets, but you’ll find them used in vast numbers in Technic MOCs.

Eric Albrecht Technicopedia