 Technic / 16593
Re: The pole reverser - what's it do?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 17:19:08 GMT

"Eric Albrecht" <blakbird11.nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:KFJ3nK.5vB@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.technic, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
The last sentence is especially misleading. In 8293 the LEDs are
connected
directly on the battery pack. So they continue to function regardless of
the
state of the pole reverser. But of course if the LEDs are connected to
the pole
reverser they are off when the switch is in the middle position!

This leads me to a question.  PF uses 4 wires instead of 2, and it is my
understanding that the pole reverser only switches two of these and the
other 2
remain powered.  Could the LEDs then be made to stay on with the Pole
Reverser
in the middle position by simply using the other wires?

Eric

I would have thought either:

A) The LEDs are using the outer two contacts which are biased one direction
and have to be turned off at the battery box switch.

B) same as above but can also be turned off with the pole reverser (by
breaking that connection)

or

C) the LEDs have a built in bridge rectifier and connect to the two inside
contacts, of which can change direction based on battery box switch position
or reversing switch position.

I would have assumed A, but I do not have any of these to test.

-Rob
www.lifelites.com