 Trains / 29958
  Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

...who can build a working yard (0r, How I've been spending my nights lately) After years of saying that I'd do it, I've finally started on my home layout. The recent sale of switch points allowed me to purchase enough switches to build what I've (...) (16 years ago, 26-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) What is the track design software that you are using? (16 years ago, 27-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) I used TrackDraw for the layout, then put a screen shot into Photoshop to add the notes. There's a Yahoo group for TrackDraw at (URL). I've found it pretty useful for playing with different layout ideas. -Elroy (16 years ago, 27-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

I'm really looking foward to this. My biggest beef with pretty much every Lego layout I have seen is that they are basically a glorifed roundy roundy train set (ignore the fact that Lego trains are basically a glorifed train set!) There are some (...) (16 years ago, 27-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) A man after my own heart! I love yards, love designing yards. You have covered all the basic functions in a nice compact model. The car card system will be a lot of fun. I've always been a fan of "layouts with a purpose" -- producer/consumer (...) (16 years ago, 27-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) Uncoupling is probably my biggest issue. Right now, I'm doing it by hand, which means holding a set of cars apart with one hand and working the speed control with the other. This isn't too much of a problem down in the yard, but it's a stretch (...) (16 years ago, 27-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) Heh. Compact is a relative term. It barely fits between the basement wall and the stairway. :-) I could actually make it smaller, but I designed it around the A/D track, which I made just long enough to hold the Adventurer's train that I built (...) (16 years ago, 27-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

Nice idea I like seeing yards in layouts. Even better if you can get some automation on switching and de-coupling. My only beef is with the switch layout. We see so many layouts where the design on the switch points is basic. I would rather see more (...) (16 years ago, 27-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) I expand one more baseplate, it looks like I could angle my yard down, and actually gain a bit of length by adding some curves to the switches and straights that I currently have. I'd also have room to expand in the future. I'll have to play (...) (16 years ago, 28-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) In lugnet.trains, Elroy Davis wrote: (...) Cool. I was worried that my reply was a bit arrogant. I spend a lot of time on the design of my layouts. Spending all year planning the design of the track and changes to the models, for an exhibition (...) (16 years ago, 28-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) If you really want knuckle couplers for your LEGO trains, you could try these; (URL) They're made by Kadee (famous to all model railroad fans for their couplers). On their (URL) site>, they retail at 4,95$ for a pair. By modifying the shank (...) (16 years ago, 28-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) Using a standard #1 knuckle coupler is an interesting idea. But instead of using the raw shank version, why not go with one that is mounted in a draft gear box? A little epoxy or MEK could probably mount the draft gear box on a hacked brick. (...) (16 years ago, 28-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

In lugnet.trains, Elroy Davis wrote: -snip- (...) On the topic of fun, classification, and yard work, have you tried John Allen's Timesaver switching puzzle? It's very compatible with LEGO. A version I created is available here: (URL) The nice think (...) (16 years ago, 28-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

The layout looks great (you will be so much happier with it when it's up on a table)! It's really hard to resist the temptation to make a loop, but point-to-point layouts have many more interesting possibilities. I think you'll be having fun with (...) (16 years ago, 28-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) Those are all excellent. The manual pick works really well, even on my light skeleton log car. I tried a side uncoupler, but it pushes some of my light cars off the tracks. I love that remote switch. I may have to try that out. Thanks for the (...) (16 years ago, 29-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) Have you considered weighting your cars? I know the NMRA has a standard recommended weight for HO cars. Tim (16 years ago, 29-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) Here's a colour version including the race track (URL) (16 years ago, 29-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) Most of my cars are okay. The one I have the most trouble with is my (URL) car>, which sometimes even hops the tracks during coupling if I don't have a log load on it. -Elroy (16 years ago, 29-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) Hmm, not much room for weight there, unless you have a load (16 years ago, 30-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) Jeff Christner used Kadees on his layout many years ago. His site is gone but the Wayback machine has the (URL) but unfortunatly only one pic. He also talks about it (URL) here> Ondrew Hartigan has also done (URL) some experimenting>. Tim (16 years ago, 30-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) If the uncoupling is for the switching yard, have you considered an on-loco uncoupling device? It does have it's limitations but at least it can be moved around the layout realistically. See my effort.. (URL) like to build a trackside one too. (...) (16 years ago, 30-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) Jeff emailed me directly as he is having problems posting While my Kadee site has been down for awhile, I did give permission to another site to use my images and text which you can find (URL) here> I have never given anyone else permission to (...) (16 years ago, 1-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Remote Switch (was: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .)

(...) I love Rick's awesome spear switch idea. I kept running it through my head to see if I could make it any smaller. I came up with something this morning: (2 URLs) Full Gallery of my prototype> I only have technic motors, so I wanted a solution (...) (16 years ago, 2-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) Thanks for that. Sorry it has taken so long for me to reply, I was not able to post since beginning of the month. (16 years ago, 13-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Remote Switch (was: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .)

I am new at this. I have some 4531 switches (points) that are from LEGO. The main line is always powered. The side line is only powered when the switch is thrown to that side. looking at the MOC in this thread it seem that another tpye of switch is (...) (16 years ago, 3-Mar-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)