 Trains / 29958
29957  |  29959
Subject:
Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2008 20:24:48 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

...who can build a working yard (0r, How I’ve been spending my nights lately)

After years of saying that I’d do it, I’ve finally started on my home layout. The recent sale of switch points allowed me to purchase enough switches to build what I’ve been dreaming of: a working switch yard in L-gauge, housed in my basement (actually, the dream is to house it someplace warmer, but I was forbidden from taking over the living room).

It’s not much to look at, and the space is pretty cramped, but it’s functional.

A quick overview:

The image is a bit hard to read at this resolution, but the layout is set up as follows: 1) Mainline Track 2) Caboose Track 3) Arrival/Departure Track 4) Maintenance of Way Track (mislabeled 8 for some reason) 5) Locomotive Yard 6) Classification Yard 7) Repair in Place Track 8) Runaround Track 9) Lead Track

The layout design is based on various articles I’ve read in some of the scale modeling magazines and websites. I’ve blocked the layout into four areas, using clear tape over the rails to electrically isolate them from each other.

The first area is the Mainline Track. Once I finish cleaning out the basement and buying more track, this will eventually form a loop. Isolating this from the yard will allow me to run trains continuously while I play with switching in the yard.

The second area is the Arrival/Departure track. The regulator attached to this area allows trains to move in from the mainline, drop off or pick up a caboose (or plow from the MOW track in cases of snow), and to move either back out onto the main, or into one of the yards.

The third blocked area is the Locomotive Yard. Right now this is only two tracks for parking engines. I’m hoping to eventually expand this area to include an engine shed, and maybe coaling and water towers.

The final block is the main yard. This is where all the fun happens. The classification yard tracks, runaround track, and lead track allow me to swap cars around pretty easily, so that I can break down inbound trains from the A/D track, or build up outbound trains headed out of town.

Taking another idea from scale modelers, I’m working on a car card and waybill system that will give me a semi-logical reason for switching cars. Each piece of rolling stock will have a card, so I can either shuffle the cards to randomly create a train which then needs to be built up, or I can use the cards to keep track of destinations if I ever get a chance to build some industry areas in another part of the basement.

The RIP track gives me another reason for switching. As I find cars that are missing pieces, or need some sort of repair, I move them onto the repair track. Since this track is located near where the engine shed will eventually be, workers should have easy access to any tools needed for repairs. With the car card system, cars from inbound trains may also need repairs before they can move on. I’m thinking of using a random dice roll or something of that sort to determine if the inspector flags a car for repair.

Well, back to the basement. If I get the rest of it cleaned up, I can build some tables and get this layout up off the floor before spring.

If anyone has any layout recommendations, I’d love to hear them.

-Elroy