 Trains / 29756
Re: Sava Railways' #982 "Lady" (with Big Ben's Medium Drivers)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2007 05:02:25 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Cale Leiphart wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Anthony Sava wrote:
   I haven’t decided what my next loco will be (aside from it being steam, of course). Currently I’m torn between a 6 or 7 wide version of the Blue Mountain & Reading #425 pacific class (4-6-2), which would be a very similar build to my TSRR #500 but making use of the new blue BBB wheels, or a dark bley, 8-wide version of the PRR T-1 duplex locomotives (4-4-4-4).

Tough choice. #425 is a nice Loco and dark blue steam would rock.

I’d love to do it in dark blue, but I would have to sacrifice a lot of curves and detail given the lack of currently available dark blue parts. More than likely I’d be building it in regular blue. (plus BBB wheels come in regular blue)

The Pennsy T-1 Duplex is just awesome and is on my build list.

A note on color though. All T-1s were painted standard Pennsy Dark Green Locomotive Enamel (Brunswick Green) which was effectively black with a green tint. The gray color that T-1s exhibit in many photos is from accumulated dirt and grime. The T-1 came very late in the steam era and didn’t always get the maintenance attention it deserved.

Pennsy equipment colors

Cale

My choice for a dark grey T-1 is actually a conscious decision on my part. I know they came in dark green-almost black, but I’ve already built a black locomotive, and I think dark grey would really allow all the nice streamlining to be seen. I’m actually planning on modeling my version after the first run of T-1s, which didn’t have the step railing on either side of the streamlined rail guards and the wheels were partially hidden.

Besides, I’ve yet to build two locomotives of the same color, it’d be a shame to start now...

--Tony