 Trains / 28218
Re: Any 9v train update?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2006 14:51:45 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Dean Earley wrote:
Incidentally, I received a reply from LEGO regarding a 9V version of the new
Cargo Train.  I posted most of this reply on the S9VT website.  I was told that
their corporate policy prohibits them from accepting outside ideas for new
products and that hence, a 9V version of the train would be impossible.  Still,
I appreciate the support of the 9V community in the effort to get such a train
and hope that the letter to LEGO helped to show what interest there is in the 9V
train line.

What is stopping someone knocking it up in LDD and uploading it?

Dean,

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking, what prevents one from
designing a 9V version of 7898 using LDD and ordering that one?

The answer is, LDD has a limited palette of brick types and colors.  The 7898
set uses a variety of unique bricks, including some found only in that set.  LDD
can indeed  be used to design 9V cargo trains, but these lack the special LEGO
bricks in 7898.  You could use MLCAD (from LDRAW) to create a version of 7898
with 9V components, which you could then import in LDD.  But, you could not
order this set if it does not make use of the bricks available from LEGO
Factory.

One solution would be to go ahead and buy 7898 for $150 from LEGO.  At this
purchase price, however, it would be a more satisfying purchase if one could use
all of the parts from it with the 9V and didn't need to invest an additional $25
for a 9V train motor.  One could try to sell the battery system components back
via eBay or BrickLink, although this requires an investment of time and
expertise to do.

In short, there are no perfect options for the moment.  For those of us who wish
not to buy battery trains, the best option may be to wait until March or so when
LEGO makes public its ultimate factory train kit.

-Jordan