 Trains / 27814
Re: Articulation with "working" connecting rods
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2006 16:30:03 GMT

Ok I think I have something.

Each cylinder is free to slide longitudinally on the frame. This movement is
constrained by a vertical pin (or 1x1 round brick) on each side of the pilot
truck. These pins engage a transverse groove (currently a pair of plates with a
1-brick gap between them) on the underside of each cylinder to keep them roughly
centered between the pilot truck wheels on each side.

A quick and dirty MSPaint rendition
(http://www.users.on.net/~sdyson/lego/cylinders.gif). Black is the pilot bogie
frame, magenta is the main locomotive frame centreline, blue represents the
pilot wheels, and red and green are the cylinders. The black circles are the 1x1
round bricks engaging the slots on the cylinder assemblies.

The limits on cylinder size are still more restrictive than if they were purely
cosmetic and fixed to the pilot bogie, but they can be larger than ones fixed to
the main frame. This seems to work in an MLCad mock-up I made. However it's all
fiddly and I haven't yet designed a robust version, and I probably won't bother
with the model I'm working on.

Thoughts?