 Trains / 27806
Re: Articulation with "working" connecting rods
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2006 21:44:30 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Sebastian Dyson wrote:
I'm trying to design an 8-wide 4-8-4 using Big Ben's wheels (CAD only, I'm but a
poor student), and want the loco to be able to negotiate standard Lego curves.
As the leading truck has an axle each side of the cylinders, I'm finding it hard
to keep the cylinders fixed relative to the driving wheels without the cylinders
and/or rods fouling the wheels of the pilot truck.

I could raise the cylinders, as in Rosco's X class
(http://www.br-eng.info/about/lego/mocs/x-class.htm), but I'd really prefer not
to, as the prototype's cylinders are quite low (the bottom edge of the cylinder
is about level with the leading truck's axles), and I can only move them so far
outboard before they look ridiculous.

Another option is to have no connection between the rods on the wheels and the
cylinders and have the cylinders turn with the leading truck, which seems a
little like cheating.

So if anyone's got any tips or experience in this, I'd love to hear it.

Not sure I can help you much here - I designed my cylinders to be quite flat so
they could slide 'twixt motor and soleplate.  With small BBB wheels on the front
your front truck is lower than a standard motor, but if you say Rosco's are too
high for you then my stuff is no good.

Everyone's prototypes have the cylinders level with the axles, as that's the
most efficient way to do a power stroke.  No-one seems to have cracked it yet
though with a wheelbase flexible enough to handle Lego curves.

Mark Bellis has done some tests using flex system so that the rods can bend and
change length.  But, you need a long large-scale wheelbase to get enough
flexibility - both in terms of the lengths of tube for a telescoping action and
to get any lateral flexibility .  Even then you get a lot of binding in corners
and you don't get great reliability.

Another way would be to use ball-joints on the main drive rod, so they can flex
sideways.  But then you're increasing the width quite a bit.

Jason R