 Trains / 27629
Re: New RC Trains Are Posted on LEGO.COM
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:08:19 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi wrote:
ondrew hartigan wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Clifton D. Chambers wrote:
The new RC trains have been released on LEGO.com.  The Cargo set is expensive at
$149.00

http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=7898&cn=249&d=12&t=7

ahhh yes but the passenger train is only 79.99.

[snip price per part analysis]

both sets are very viable for the bricklink market even at full retail and i
suspect that they will show up there very quickly. i for one can't wait. =)

I can wait... I think the engine is cool. The self propelled crane is
cool even if it is simple, but the other cars well... the nicest thing I
can say is that there are three more cars. To spend $150 I need to
really like _everything_. Also I have a hard time paying full price for
this set if I am buying it just for parts. There are so many parts that
I know I'll never use...

i know the feeling i'm an 8-wide builder so allmost everything is useless to me.

both trains are running around $.15 a brick which is expencive but on par with
other train sets of the past.

And I didn't buy many of those at full price either because they simply
weren't good enough. I should note that I have happily paid full price
for train stuff when I liked that train stuff.

i agree.
2003's cargo train set was the only train set i've ever payed full price for.

[snip excellent comments about track mods]

it will however be nice to be able to experement creating new switches like my
doubble crossover and 3 way switch with out the huge cost.

Yeah, will you ever be producing that double cross? I love the modified
switches that you made for me.

YEP. i will be making more but on a per order basis. it takes a long time to
make and they're expencive. the RC version will be cheaper but still pricy. i
will however never make another 3-way switch as it was a complete pain in the
butt to produce and i didin't enjoy it.

ondrew

Regular track is a little more expensive than 9V.

http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=7896&cn=250&t=5&d=12

7896
8 straight 8 curved
$15.99

technicly it's cheaper. i do see your point however. i hope TLC discovers this
flaw in the product line and fixes it. equal numbers of straight and curve rails
makes little or no sence. a 4-12 ratio would be a much better value and would
make more sence.

I've become cynical enough to think that this is LEGO's solution to
there problem with the curve track. I am guessing that they have noticed
that curved 9v rails do not sell as well as straight 9v rails, so their
solution is to force consumers to buy curved rails every time they want
to buy straight rails. Of course, they wouldn't think of producing fewer
curved rails, because the price per rail would go up. However, I not to
cynical to think that eventually someone will realize that this is a
stupid idea that makes the LEGO Company look unfriendly to their customers.

ondrew

Chris