 Trains / 27617
Re: New RC Trains Are Posted on LEGO.COM
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2006 23:10:01 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Clifton D. Chambers wrote:
The new RC trains have been released on LEGO.com.  The Cargo set is expensive at
$149.00

http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=7898&cn=249&d=12&t=7

ahhh yes but the passenger train is only 79.99.

i took a miniute and did a little math. these sets are not priced as bad as one
might think.

7897 passenger train

501 parts    $79.99     price per part .1596
with cost of track removed    $60.0025  or .124...per part

now this doesn't exclude the electronics so it's really not that bad of a
price.

7898 cargo train deluxe

856 parts  $149.99      price per part .1752
with cost of track removed   $118.01 or .142,,,per part

this one isn't as great of a deal but the parts content more than makes up for
it.

both sets are very viable for the bricklink market even at full retail and i
suspect that they will show up there very quickly. i for one can't wait. =)

both trains are running around $.15 a brick which is expencive but on par with
other train sets of the past.

The switch tracks are less expensive than the regular switch tracks.  Someone
needs to figure out how to convert them for 9V.

7895
2 switches 4 curves
$15.99

http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=7895&cn=250&t=5&d=12

converting them for 9 volt is almost an imposiblity. the fact remains that for
the cost of the labor to convert non9v to 9v it's still cheaper to purchase 9v
switches.

it will however be nice to be able to experement creating new switches like my
doubble crossover and 3 way switch with out the huge cost.

Regular track is a little more expensive than 9V.

http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=7896&cn=250&t=5&d=12

7896
8 straight 8 curved
$15.99

technicly it's cheaper. i do see your point however. i hope TLC discovers this
flaw in the product line and fixes it. equal numbers of straight and curve rails
makes little or no sence. a 4-12 ratio would be a much better value and would
make more sence.

ondrew