 Trains / 25434
Re: Trans-Siberian Railway
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:54:41 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Timothy Gould wrote:

   Just uploaded pics of my rendition of a Russian EMU that runs one of the legs of the Trans-Siberian railway. Not sure of the name and class of it as the only railway fan pictures I could find were on a Russian site in Russian (x-posted to .loc.ru just in case).

You can see the real thing here or here and as you can see it is in fact an EMU but I could find no pictures of the carriages so left it at the engine.

I really, really like the design of this train. It has that real Soviet Commercial Design style that is such a fascinating design movement (I know it has a name but I can’t find it off-hand). The nose is just fantastic.

Tim, your model is very nice. I live in Russia (and used to live in SU before). When I was a student, I travelled with these trains a lot. Since Russian is my native language I can help you to translate something to English with a pleasure - just let me know, what do you need :)

I’m not a big train fan, so I do not know what “EMU” stands for. The train you made is passenger train. There are a lot of these trains all over the country. I think, that you made old-designed train. You see train with new nose design here:

http://www.transsib.ru/Photo/Train/emu46.jpg

Train’s class is ER9P (transcribed from Russian), I think. Train you made is #162, that new-styled one is #360. I think they do not have any special names.

All these trains were made in Riga (letter R in the class name). Since it is capital of another country now, I’m not sure how many new trains are imported into the Russia these days (not many, if any, I guess).

You may also see train with cars at these pictures (different class, ER2, but with very similar design).

http://www.transsib.ru/Photo/Zsib/3035c.jpg

All references are taken from the same page, which refers to photos in your message:

http://www.transsib.ru/loc-suburban.htm

WBR, Alexander Horoshilov