 Trains / 24898
Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 15:42:32 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton wrote:
Another well-balanced discussion evolving here I see...

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
American themed, European themed... at one level I don't care.

Whatever LEGO produces, I (we) can do better(1). So any set is good, regardless
of how it looks as a set, *IF* it has good parts. And I agree that this set
looks like it will have some great parts (and stickers). Parts is parts, as long
as they aren't POOP.

Agreed, so far.

But at another level, the train show level, I do care. North American prototypes
resonate with the audiences at train shows better than european ones do

Er, perhaps that statement could be qualified a little.  Maybe North American
prototypes resonate with the American audiences that you tend to find attending
American train shows.  I'm not sure you can be so definite about the entire rest
of the planet.

Fair cop.

How big are train shows elsewhere though? How big is the market elsewhere? In
Singapore, no one I talked to (small sample) had even heard of a train show! I
suggest that there IS a market here, one worth trying to serve.

The US prototype train market has been underserved by LEGO for a long long time,
I find it amusing that there's so much grousing now after we got a whole 4 or 5
sets. (you can't count the two new "mainstream" sets or any of the
accessories... they're all european!)