 Trains / 24902
Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 16:37:58 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

How big are train shows elsewhere though? How big is the market elsewhere?
In Singapore, no one I talked to (small sample) had even heard of a train
show! I suggest that there IS a market here, one worth trying to serve.

In the Netherlands we have 4-6 BIG shows (read over 20k visitors, from
NW-Europe) every year, plus dozens smaller ones (between dozens and a few
hundred attendees) by local clubs and such.

The US prototype train market has been underserved by LEGO for a long long
time, I find it amusing that there's so much grousing now after we got a
whole 4 or 5 sets. (you can't count the two new "mainstream" sets or any
of the accessories... they're all european!)

The new "high speed train" doesn't look like anything I know, or it should
be a BAD knock-off of the German ICE. The new freight train engine is (even
in terms of colours) remarkably close to some French diesels and by model
close to many standard MaK engines all over NW-Europe I'll grant you (never
mind the ridiculous cars behind it)

What bothers me is that with LEGO it's either extreme each time... After
both Santa Fe and BNSF it would have been nice to see some European engine.
Maybe in 2 years, when the (in)famous BB-8100 series celebrates it's 60th
birthday? (the BB-8100 was a French electric engine which was the first of
a LONG string with radical new technologies which eventually led to the
French speedrecord in the 1950's of 331km/h by the CC-7107 and BB-9004
IIRC) they'll at least do some nice tribute (imagine an electric engine
part sandgreen, part sandblue with grey bogies as designed by Paul Arzens)
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/