 Trains / 24899
Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 15:49:12 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

<snip>

How big are train shows elsewhere though? How big is the market elsewhere? In
Singapore, no one I talked to (small sample) had even heard of a train show! I
suggest that there IS a market here, one worth trying to serve.

The US prototype train market has been underserved by LEGO for a long long time,
I find it amusing that there's so much grousing now after we got a whole 4 or 5
sets. (you can't count the two new "mainstream" sets or any of the
accessories... they're all european!)

I'm kinda with Larry on this one--rtlToronto, a new additoin to the train show
experience, has been doing 3-4 shows per year for the past few years.  I know
that Calum wants to keep things 'euro' looking, but most of the rolling stock
looks North American, and what people seem to be attracted to is the Santa Fe
and the BNSF.

At last week's show, 'train spotters' were asking to see the custom made LEGO GM
SD70ACe (which I did not actually bring to the show for a change).

The North American rolling stock is a huge draw for the audience at our tran
shows, and many folks inquire where they can purchase the sets.  We have to tell
'em that the only sets on the layout that they can purchase is the
aforementioned BNSF and the Santa Fe.  But we also tell them that if they get
(mostly) basic bricks and a few train sets, they can build their own versions of
the rolling stock, as most of us do.

I'm really excited about these new container cars.  They look really well done
and will be a welcome addition to our shows.

Dave K