 Trains / 24774
Re: Design Update (was Re: Preview ALCO RS-1 A. T. & S. F.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 13:23:21 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis wrote:

   Looks like the new slope brick curved top 1x3x1 piece is available in black. The new for 2005 set 8648 Buzz Saw racer, US$10, has two of them. Ouch! This RS-1 locomotive uses 12 of this piece. Hello? BrickLink, “got brick?”

It’s funny that you posted this. I’m working on my own version of an RS-1, and I ended up using the same piece for the roof, though my roof looks to be a couple of studs wider. At the moment, Bricklink has *none* of these in Black, so I had to break down and buy multiple copies of Buzz Saw (Yup. That made my wife happy).

   ALCO RS-1 Breakdown:

Recognizability? I hope so. Critical to its recognition is the curved cab roof. Next up would be the proportions of the front and rear hoods with respect to the cab.

Definately. I love the look of your locomotive.

   I feel like I need to apologize, but I’m not offering this ALCO RS-1 build on-line. It’s only available as a purchased product either on CD-Rom or book-form directly from me. If you are interested, please visit my Brick Built Trains website or jump straight to my Brick Built Trains CafePress shop.

Any chance of getting instructions for just the locomotive? I’m not really interested in the other cars, but I’d definately be interested to see how our two locomotives compare. It sounds like yours is definately more detailed (I didn’t bother with an interior for instance), and I had to do a couple of funky things (like SNOT windows) to fit the color scheme I’m using. I’m hoping to post pictures in a couple of weeks after all my parts arrive, and I work out if the real model will work as well as my LDraw version.

Great job on this model! I hope mine is as easily recognizable (even with compression).

-Elroy