 Trains / 24772
24771  |  24773
Subject:
Design Update (was Re: Preview ALCO RS-1 A. T. & S. F.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 05:12:43 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis wrote:
   The ALCO RS-1 is an appropriate switch-yard locomotive to service Santa Fe’s Hi-Level El Capitan during its introduction in 1956-- shown here in era-appropriate zebra livery.

Here is a preview to an upcoming ALCO RS-1 illustrated step book: front-cover-shot,

The design of this illustrated step book is complete.

   I hope LEGO(R) releases the new 1x3x1 curved brick in black. Thanks, Steve Barile, for reminding me about this very cool new brick!

Looks like the new slope brick curved top 1x3x1 piece is available in black. The new for 2005 set 8648 Buzz Saw racer, US$10, has two of them. Ouch! This RS-1 locomotive uses 12 of this piece. Hello? BrickLink, “got brick?”

Bringing this RS-1 into the current compression discussion, I would like to think that the RS-1 compressed nicely. However, I’ve been selectively compressing since I was 5 years old, so my vision is quite distorted. I think my mind distorts a compressed model real-time into a less distorted image. Thus, a compressed model can look “normal” to me. I guess we could call ourselves, “Compressionists”, and our LEGO-form is “Compressionism”...(has this joke already been played out?). Anyway...

I’d like to say I build for recognizability, playability, buildability, and functionality. Not necessarily in that order and with varying degrees of each...always compromises it seems. That said, I don’t always achieve these goals with every design. A lot of my designs remain “design studies”. However, some models end up like the RS-1-- fully realized, in brick, in CAD, and in book (or on CD-Rom).

ALCO RS-1 Breakdown:

Recognizability? I hope so. Critical to its recognition is the curved cab roof. Next up would be the proportions of the front and rear hoods with respect to the cab. Finally, a livery can convey and/or enhance what the model is when shape-only falls short. And, even though the real-brick build lacks smooth diagonal striping, the checkerboard patterns work to invoke the feel of the livery-- I hope. The addition of roadnames and graphic decals takes livery one step further.

Playability? Dual-end lighting. Easy-lift-off cab with mini-fig engineer seating. Easy-lift-off engine cover to reveal fake engine parts. Doesn’t fall apart in your hands.

Buildability? Got instructions. Parts are available. Standard train baseplate. Mostly studs-up construction. Logical sub-model breakdown. One negative hit against this model is that the electric wire for one of the headlamps must stick out the bottom of the train baseplate during construction-- not ideal, but doable.

Functionality? Runs OK on train track. Magnetic couplers don’t bind. Not much else for this RS-1 model. Pretty standard stuff.

I feel like I need to apologize, but I’m not offering this ALCO RS-1 build on-line. It’s only available as a purchased product either on CD-Rom or book-form directly from me. If you are interested, please visit my Brick Built Trains website or jump straight to my Brick Built Trains CafePress shop.

later,

James Mathis