 Trains / 24351
Re: Preview ALCO RS-1 A. T. & S. F.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 17:23:34 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Samarth Moray wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, James Mathis wrote:

I look forward to stealing something new from this one when there are more pics ;-)

You are welcome to. I do this, too-- my designs are derivative of some design, somewhere.

I hope you do find new ideas here, but I’m not so sure. I think this ALCO RS-1 offers a fairly basic studs-up construction, except for the coupler section and the non-powered wheels. I took the full-cab lift-off concept and hand-railing from official LEGO(R) set 10133 BNSF locomotive. Steve Barile reminded me about the new 1x3x1 curved brick piece. The SNOT coupler and stairs are probably derived from loads of other MOCs I’ve seen; Robin Werners’s designs come to mind, but we’re all doing something like this in so many different ways.

The most interesting aspect of this A.T. & S.F zebra livery to me is that it is nearly entirely black and white-- making for (hopefully) easier and cheaper black and white book-printing. However, I was pleased to brick-up a kind of close approximation to Santa Fe’s logo on the side of the engine using a blue 2x2 plate and a white 2x2 circular disk tile. A blue-printed Santa Fe shield works on this white tile to produce the necessary white text.

later,

James Mathis