 Trains / 23694
Re: New and old to lugnet at the same time :-)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 21:33:19 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Samarth Moray wrote:

   Hi John, It’s nice getting a reply from you. I fell in love with the 8 wides when it clicked in my head: I had two failed 6-wide designs for the WDP-4, and the only way to get the front windows to look right, was NOT to use this piece of you know what:

But car sunroof pieces instead.

I liked the sunroof solution.

Btw, the EMD WDP-4 class is no more (snif snif) I had to scrap it for parts for the three foot thing.

:-( But you rendered it in ldraw, no?

   Interestingly, You and I don’t share the same opinion with regards to scale for 8-wides: IMHO, 1 stud=1 ft is too long.

Actually, I agree with you. Though the track gauge is about right for 1 stud = 1 foot, that would actually make for a 10 wide scale, since most modern locos are about 10 feet wide. So when building 8 wide, I assume about 1 stud = 1.3 feet, and forget the fact that the track gauge is too wide (assuming standard gauge). The danger is building a loco that is too big for the LEGO train wheels. For locos with “C” trucks (3 axles), I find that the spacing of the wheels on the LEGO 9 volt train motor is just about right.

   The WDP-4 is my first try at a more manageable size: 1ft=3/4ths of a stud, rounded of to the nearest whole number. (if I recall right, the real WDP-4 is around 60ft long and the model is 43 studs.) Eve this I use as a general guideline, and try to use the various ‘greeblies’ (for want of a better term), like grilles and stuff on the sides, to determine the actual size.

Yes, there are many factors (limitations of the brick) that determine how a MOC will be built. One resource that I find very helpful when addressing scale issues is Dave Eaton’s scale converter applet

JOHN

   I’ve also written up a tutorial (very basic lego stuff) on modelling Indian Railways in Lego. it should be up on that site (irfca.org) quite soon. I’ll post here when it is. It also contains some pics of the ‘project three foot thing’ :-)

Thans again for the help,

Samarth