 Trains / 2314
  New: Amtrak EMD type F 7 attempt

Worked today on a new locomotive model. Pictures of my 1st iteration are up at my website- link through trains/locomotives. I've tried to model the General Motors EMD type F 7 locomotive in what my Marklin catalog says is the first Amtrak color (...) (25 years ago, 10-Oct-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New: Amtrak EMD type F 7 attempt

Hey! Nice try. I think at first glance it really captures the spirit of a covered wagon. A few nits/feedback items: Working from the Marklin model may not be the best way to go. The F is a heavily photographed engine and there are thousands of (...) (25 years ago, 10-Oct-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New: Amtrak EMD type F 7 attempt

(...) Thanks for the reply and suggestions, Larry. (snipped nits/feedback comments) Tough to model some aspects, but LEGO brick applications can be surprising if one only keeps trying. We'll see if I can find them. More search on my part to see what (...) (25 years ago, 10-Oct-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New: Amtrak EMD type F 7 attempt

(...) I'll make a trade with you. I will type/scan some info in for you if you will make sure there is enough info for me to reproduce the model at home. I love this engine. I had one as a kid in O scale. Are you going to do a "B" as well? Do you (...) (25 years ago, 12-Oct-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New: Amtrak EMD type F 7 attempt

Actually, now that I think about it, my train was prolly an F9 (2 3 truck combo). Is there a good faq for how to describe this stuff? I love the way it all looks, but words fail me.... (...) (25 years ago, 12-Oct-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New: Amtrak EMD type F 7 attempt

(...) P is for passenger. an FP has an elongated carbody to have a head end power unit and a hot water boiler for heating and AC. Some railroads did not want to buy E units and asked EMD to add that stuff to Fs (most Fs were geared for freight (...) (25 years ago, 12-Oct-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Version 2 of Amtrak EMD type F 7 attempt

Worked some more on the Amtrak loco. I tried to incorporate mods based on all of the feedback I've received. Some things I'm just not good enough to accomplish. A fun model to work on. (URL) though train creations/locomotives Thanks for the comments (...) (25 years ago, 12-Oct-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Version 2 of Amtrak EMD type F 7 attempt

This model is starting to come together nicely. From the side it looks great, but from the front you notice the height.. you prolly need to find a place to scavenge a row of bricks or even 2. That's gonna be tough and still keep the Amtrak headless (...) (25 years ago, 13-Oct-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Version 2 of Amtrak EMD type F 7 attempt

(...) I'd have to say that I liked the front window a lot better in version 1. The slope of the version 1 window definately gave it more of the 'sad puppy dog eyes' look. Other than that I thought the changes were improvements. Steve Martin (25 years ago, 13-Oct-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Version 2 of Amtrak EMD type F 7 attempt

Thanks for the comments, Steve and Larry. I appreciate all of them. Aside: I have worked on this American loco just as I get ready to go to Europe and go Eurailing in The Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, and France. This Amtrak loco may just be my (...) (25 years ago, 13-Oct-99, to lugnet.trains)