 Trains / 2322
Re: New: Amtrak EMD type F 7 attempt
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 12:52:19 GMT

The Doctor What wrote:

Actually, now that I think about it, my train was prolly an F9 (2 3 truck
combo).  Is there a good faq for how to describe this stuff?  I love the
way it all looks, but words fail me....

Here is one photo of a real FP-7 (What's the P for?):

P is for passenger. an FP  has an elongated carbody to have a head end
power unit and a hot water boiler for heating and AC.

Some railroads did not want to buy E units and asked EMD to add that
stuff to Fs (most Fs were geared for freight service but this meant they
could have common parts among their whole fleet. Cost reduction was the
whole point of dieselization, after all)