 Trains / 2315
Re: New: Amtrak EMD type F 7 attempt
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 15:18:36 GMT

Hey! Nice try. I think at first glance it really captures the spirit of
a covered wagon.

A few nits/feedback items:

Working from the Marklin model may not be the best way to go. The F is a
heavily photographed engine and there are thousands of pictures out
there on the web if you can find them. I've posted leads before, the
NMRA site offers good resource links.

The nose area needs work. The cab windows need to be set back a bit
farther and you need to work on a scheme that makes them look more
delicate (this is very very hard) Some sort of side window for the cab
is needed as well.

The F trucks are always 2 axle, your rear truck (which is due to be
replaced with 9V but may throw someone else off...) is 3 axle (1).

I would use medium slopes instead of low slopes on the roof, as the
profile is closer to that... again, the Marklin model introduces some
distortion in the model proportions here.

When I first saw it, it looked more like an Alco FA bulldog nose or an
80s GE electric. The real F is very rounded, which is very hard to
reproduce with our medium.

Generally neat and interesting first try, though.

1 - FL9 is an aberration that proves the rule...