 Trains / 22810
Re: BBB Wheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 03:18:26 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ben Fleskes wrote:

On that note, is there a common term to refer to a train wheel without a flange?
Some terms I've considered include:

Blind Driver Wheel

This is the prototypical term, at least in US practice, as far as I know.

Sans Flange Driver Wheel
Blank Driver Wheel
Unflanged Driver Wheel

Never heard of any of these used in US practice

Were any real trains ever made with wheels that didn't have flanges?

Yes, real locomotives. I don't know of any non locomotive applications where
this was necessary.

I googled for 'blind driver' and found this article

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/3cylinder/

the UP 4-12-2 described in it had blind drivers on axles 3 and 4 (the
centermost) AND lateral motion devices on 1 and 6 (the outermost axles)

... but I have to say I did not find as many hits on this topic as I expected
to. Maybe I've been using the wrong term all this time?

I've been
told it's done in the model train world often.  In either case, is there a
common term that people use for a wheel without a flange?

Blind Driver is what I've always heard.. Hope that helps.