 Trains / 22323 (-20)
  Re: 4.5v upgraded to 9v - ideas welcome.

(...) Well yes, that goes without saying. You need to protect your DCC function output from exceeding it's milliamp limit. With the Zenner it just makes your resistance required to be far less. As an example 50 ohms as apposed to 200 ohms. Dean (21 years ago, 9-Feb-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Idea for a track power pickup for non motored trains...

(...) Well that is currently the only way to pass power. But it's very inconvenient. Hence the call for something new. Dean (21 years ago, 9-Feb-04, to lugnet.trains)

  RE: 4.5v upgraded to 9v - ideas welcome.

(...) Just remember to limit the current through the Zener diode when dropping the voltage... If you have a 12V supply and try to put a 9V zener without a dropping resistor, it will simply burn out. A zener diode is really a clamping device. Better (...) (21 years ago, 9-Feb-04, to lugnet.trains)

  RE: Idea for a track power pickup for non motored trains...

(...) If you modify the motor to pass the rail signals through to the power port on the top of the motor, can't you just use standard LEGO wires and connectors between the loco and the cars? Ralph (21 years ago, 9-Feb-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 4.5v upgraded to 9v - ideas welcome.

(...) I've done onboard RCX to modified train motor before. I had it read barcodes along the track to know what station to go to. (URL) motor now powers my DCC CN engine. One thing I would suggest is to get a 4.5 volt Zenner diode and put it in into (...) (21 years ago, 9-Feb-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Idea for a track power pickup for non motored trains...

(...) This was my plan if I destroy any of my motors. I haven't done this yet though. Also the motor pack is just too large to be able to work into some cars. (...) I have a friends friend that might be able to copy the plastic wheel in a light (...) (21 years ago, 9-Feb-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Posters, yes again

(...) Hey, Although I do not have an answer to your question perhaps I can help. E-mail your question here... (URL) ... and see if they E-mail you back:] Sorry if I was no further help Happy Building Erik Bush (21 years ago, 9-Feb-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: The colors of.... hoppers???

(...) It's made of carbon lattice.... (21 years ago, 9-Feb-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Posters, yes again

Hello... Can any one answer this? (...) (21 years ago, 9-Feb-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Idea for a track power pickup for non motored trains...

(...) Consider also conductive paint on plastic wheels. It may not be a good permanent solution but would allow for experimentation before commissioning tooling to create metal wheels. (21 years ago, 9-Feb-04, to lugnet.trains)

  The colors of.... hoppers???

I hope I'm not stealing any thunder but... (URL) was dying laughing at some of these. Especially the trans white one. I guess I'm just easily amused. (21 years ago, 9-Feb-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Idea for a track power pickup for non motored trains...

Dean I'was thinking the same idea this weekend... I'm imagining several possibilities, that are: Motorless box (Ben's solutions).. (too expensive for a passanger car) Metal wheel in standard boggies,what you mentioned.. but we need to work in detail (...) (21 years ago, 9-Feb-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Idea for a track power pickup for non motored trains...

In lugnet.trains, Dean Husby wrote: <snip> (...) I've tried removing the 9v motor from inside a 9v train motor. Works pretty well. Without the motor inside, it has a lot less friction. I'm currently using this technique to power the rails on my (...) (21 years ago, 9-Feb-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Pictures of COLTC at Columbus GATS

(...) Wow, those skyscrapers are huge, I love them! And the rest of the layout looks great too, super job. jt (21 years ago, 8-Feb-04, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.oh)

  4.5v upgraded to 9v - ideas welcome.

I would like to say "hi" and introduce myself as a LEGO Train newbie. I only have the old 7720 set and a load of track. Each time I think of upgrading and buying a new train set LEGO releases something new, usually Star Wars, which catches my eye (...) (21 years ago, 8-Feb-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Idea for a track power pickup for non motored trains...

I've been racking my brain trying to think of an easy way to get power from the track to a non motored car. For things like lights or movements etc. I think I have something that might work. If we take two standard wheels sets and replace one wheel (...) (21 years ago, 8-Feb-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Pictures of COLTC at Columbus GATS

(...) Thanks for the great pics, Troy! So who in the club is the Weezer fan? (URL) (back side) (URL) (front side) I think one of my favorite scenes (which COLTC has done a few times now) is the "sand dune/beach house" scene: (URL) (seaside) (URL) (...) (21 years ago, 8-Feb-04, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.oh)

  Re: Pictures of COLTC at Columbus GATS

(...) Wow, what a great job! I love the Huntington building and especially the Leveque Tower (amazing job on the detail.) I grew up in Columbus, and it's bringing back memories... Doug (21 years ago, 8-Feb-04, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.oh)

  Pictures of COLTC at Columbus GATS

I've posted my pictures from today's GATS show in Columbus, OH. Central Ohio LEGO Train Club did an outstanding job on their display. (URL) of the subfolders have been moderated already and I suspect that the others will be soon as well. Troy (21 years ago, 8-Feb-04, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.oh) !!

  Re: ILTCO Article - Making heavy-duty powered LEGO® Track Connections for Public Display Layouts

(...) From the article: "The longest power cable I've seen from LEGO is 1-meter in length." The longest I have is 3 meters. The LEGO dacta 9898 set has two such cables. Regards, Thomas (21 years ago, 7-Feb-04, to lugnet.trains)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact