 Trains / 22309
22308  |  22310
Subject:
4.5v upgraded to 9v - ideas welcome.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 22:17:20 GMT

I would like to say "hi" and introduce myself as a LEGO Train newbie.  I only
have the old 7720 set and a load of track.  Each time I think of upgrading and
buying a new train set LEGO releases something new, usually Star Wars, which
catches my eye and empties my pocket.

So, I have to improvise.

<<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=651030>>

Here is my modification of the old 7720 (4.5v) with a customised lead connecting
the motor to a 9v battery unit.  I spliced the old leads with a new connector
from the Mindstorms sets.  (Sorry, I don't know the technical terms for "leads"
and "connectors".)  Anyway, it works, even if it does crank up the motor to a
spiritual level, unnervingly fast!

My reason for posting here is to find out if anyone else has done this and
generally to get some feedback and ideas for combining the RCX and Scout systems
to get a little more control out of this hybrid.  I thought the RCX might be
timed to stop at different stations along a track.  I have seen some pictures of
a RCX controlling a track layout, but on this engine it would have to be inside
the engine or in an accompanying car.  Of course, that takes me back to the
original 7720 set up where the engine pulls the batteries in the car behind it,
and I want to get away from that.  A big locomotive might have the space
required for the RCX if it is on it's side.

I am not too worried about the motor.  Should I be?  I have thought that the
motor might be challenged by the double power - but I don't know.

Oh, and my locomotive design was a fast-build purely to house and/or hide the
motor.  So, I'm not looking to win any competitions there.

If anyone has any ideas how I might improve this idea please let me know.

Thanks.

Chris