 Trains / 22215
  basic train questions (power, mostly)

Hello train folks. I haven't done any Lego train building before, but I have an Idea for a Project. I've gotten a couple of train sets and have a few more on order, but in the meantime, and before I get too far with building, I've got some questions (...) (20 years ago, 30-Jan-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: basic train questions (power, mostly)

(...) 2 would be better if you're talking 8 wide cars that are proportionally sized (...) I'd put them both in front but one at each end works. (...) not pure LEGO 9v. You would have to hack something together using cutting or whatever. (...) Check (...) (20 years ago, 30-Jan-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: basic train questions (power, mostly)

(...) Well this all depends on what type of train cars your going to build. If you were going to build a train of flat cars and tank cars one motor would be ok. However if you’re like me and you like boxcars and other heavy models then you will want (...) (20 years ago, 30-Jan-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: basic train questions (power, mostly)

We at LUCNY run long trains - 6 wide - but often 30 pieces of stock long. Our experience is you have to have a rear driver else the magnetic couplings are likely to give out. We have never had problems with the pusher squeezing the intermediate cars (...) (20 years ago, 30-Jan-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: basic train questions (power, mostly)

(...) They're going to be kinda weirdly sized. Not sure yet. :) (...) I'll experiment and see what I come up with, then. (...) Aggh! No!!! Looks like I'll be putting a motor there, then. I'll hafta see if there should be two at the front, too. (...) (...) (20 years ago, 31-Jan-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: basic train questions (power, mostly)

(...) Batteries are my *enemies*. You have to change them and stuff, and have some sort of accessible power switch. And all the battery boxes I have are quite large. Blech. :) (...) Ahh, but if I were going for cheap and realistic, would I be using (...) (20 years ago, 31-Jan-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: basic train questions (power, mostly)

(...) Ok, cool. I like hearing what I wanted to hear. :) (...) Hmmm. Any idea much can one RCX typically handle? (20 years ago, 31-Jan-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: basic train questions (power, mostly)

(...) (Pretend that the words in the above sentence were ordered in the way someone who *has* eaten today would have put them, please. Thanks.) (20 years ago, 31-Jan-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: basic train questions (power, mostly)

(...) The RCX motor outputs are officially 0.8 amps each. This will just drive 2 train motors lightly loaded as I think the RCX DCC folk will confirm. The Lego train controller is good for about 1.5 amps and can thus handle 3 motors and 4 if they (...) (20 years ago, 31-Jan-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: basic train questions (power, mostly)

(...) Hi! In my experience, a big two motor engine is rquired to pull a good sized 8-wide train. At the last NELUG show we ran engine--flatbed(w/tr...e_as_load) --box_car--refer--do...er_carrier --tank_car--caboose. I found that my single motor (...) (20 years ago, 31-Jan-04, to lugnet.trains)