 Trains / 22094
Re: an 'improved' coupler design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 19:43:03 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Esger Abbink wrote:

I've never seen how the 12volt decouplers work, so I can't comment on that.

JohnG, GMLTC

Well, in my experience they dont actually "work", they just "try" ;)

but (from head) the principle is that when activated by a "switchmotor" a
mechanism rises that will push/slide the magnets off each other by colliding
with the little poles hanging down from each coupler. (one magnet is pushed
to the left, the other to the right).

Apart from the problem that you have to position the train _just_ right for
it to even have a chance of working it has some problems: the motor isnt
strong enough, the mechanism flexes to all directions, for a successfull
decoupling either the train part in front or in back has to move...see
problems 1 & 2 etc.

Now I have heard rumors there are versions out there that actually do work
but I've never seen one...

Here's one:

Rick C.