 Trains / 22090
Re: an 'improved' coupler design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 23:56:18 GMT

I've never seen how the 12volt decouplers work, so I can't comment on that.

JohnG, GMLTC

Well, in my experience they dont actually "work", they just "try" ;)

but (from head) the principle is that when activated by a "switchmotor" a
mechanism rises that will push/slide the magnets off each other by colliding
with the little poles hanging down from each coupler. (one magnet is pushed to
the left, the other to the right).

Apart from the problem that you have to position the train _just_ right for it
to even have a chance of working it has some problems: the motor isnt strong
enough, the mechanism flexes to all directions, for a successfull decoupling
either the train part in front or in back has to move...see problems 1 & 2 etc.

Now I have heard rumors there are versions out there that actually do work but
I've never seen one...

Esger